In 1847, the City of Wilmington hired its first police officer. At that time, the police department was located in the basement of City Hall until 1962, when it moved to the old Atlantic Coast Railroad building on Red Cross Street.
In July 2005, construction of a new, $24 million state-of-the-art facility began. The new Wilmington Police Headquarters was completed in December 2006.
Wilmington Police Headquarters - Northwest Division
WPD Northwest Headquarters
* 84,000 square feet
* Modern forensics laboratory
* Dedicated training facilities
* Dedicated soundproof interview rooms with recording capability
* Security features throughout
* Onsite gas station
* Modern and efficient evidence and records processing and storage
* Modern holding facilities
* Dedicated Special Enforcement & Response Team (SERT)